At the beginning
The first 'Postcards' featuring Lancing were produced by Robert Wright a master of Lancing Grammar School around 1860.
In about 1906 the McCarthy brothers had a photography business based in South Street near the Three Horseshoes Inn. They published postcard views of several scenes in Lancing and other nearby areas.
At about the same time Arthur George Colbourne was publishing picture postcards and selling them from his general store at the corner of Penhill Road and South Street.
The West Sussex Past collection has around 200 images of Lancing scenes without attribution to the photographers
Around 50 images from the 1950's and 1960 have been gathered by the the Francis Frith company and are available to be purchased. The identity of the photographer/s has not been given.
Local historian Philip Fry gathered together a large collection of images and published them in two books Lancing and Sompting as part of a Britain In Old Photographs series.
An overall history of the village can be read from the British History Online resource.